Write a one-page 500 word essay (essays not meeting 500 word count or exceeding one-page will be excluded from scoring)
• Typed in Times New Roman
• 12 point font
• Single spaced
• One-inch margins
• Do not include your name or school name in your essay
Examine the long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on our society (human interactions, schooling, the economy, tourism, etc.)
Students will be graded using a 1-5 pt. scale, using the following criteria:
1. Specifically followed the requirements and directions of the essay contest
3. Correct spelling/grammar
February 1, 2021 through March 31, 2021
Please upload entries to the online form below. (If you are under 18, we will need page 3 of the application completed and mailed to the address below)
• Mail entries to: LAFCU P.O. Box 26188, Lansing, MI 48909 Attn: Marketing
* If mailing, please complete and mail the application with your essay.
The winner will be selected on Friday, April 16, 2021. A copy of a current high school student identification card or transcript will validate the winner's eligibility.
As part of our mission of people helping people, LAFCU will donate $500 to an organization in our community on your behalf, if you are selected as our 2020 ‘Write to Educate’ scholarship winner. Please select from the following worthy organizations and briefly explain why you chose them:
CASA for Kids
CASA for Kids provides highly trained volunteers, called Court Appointed Special Advocates, to advocate within the court system and the community for the best interest of children who are under court jurisdiction due to abuse and neglect in Barry, Eaton, and Ingham counties.
Weekend Survival Kits
Weekend Survival Kits mobilizes communities to provide food on the weekends to elementary school children throughout mid-Michigan who may otherwise go hungry ultimately helping remove barriers to academic success
Girls on the Run Mid-Michigan
Girls on the Run Mid-Michigan is an after-school program designed to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based program that creatively integrates running
Awarding of the Scholarship
1. The winner must be attending college in the state of Michigan and have a valid Student ID number as the funds will be submitted to the respective college in the winner’s name.
2. Any unused portion of the scholarship after two years from the date of issue may be returned to the grantor.
*Employees of LAFCU and their immediate family members are excluded.